One of the first of our "visitors" to show up were the ants ... BIG ANTS. We put out some yummy, sweet poison for them, and boy did they take the bait.
I am happy to report that all but one or two of the big ants are gone. However, they must've told their lil friends where the party was. Now we have crazy ants flitting across our countertops at lightning speed here and there ... EVERYWHERE! It's enough to make a body go cross-eyed. They don't slow down enough to even notice the bait. I didn't try to capture them on film - too small, too fast, too CRAZY!
Next on the list are geckos. O'Man found a whole bunch of their eggs in our garage where we had some old boxes stored. He decided to keep them (the eggs - not the boxes), and try to incubate them so he could watch them hatch. He prepared a container, and set the eggs on the dirt. It wasn't long after that one of those eggs went to shakin'. Sure enough we had a cute little baby gecko in our midst. It appeared to be stuck in its shell. Perhaps it was just tired? Whatever the case, O'Man, kind soul that he is, lent a helping hand by flicking away part of the shell. That was all it took, because that little lizard lit out lickety split with no word of thanks. (Try sayin' that 5 times fast. I dare ya! ;)
![]() |
| Awww, ain't it cute? |
![]() |
| Adding the eggs to the container - "Ooooh, exciting." (yawn) |
![]() |
| All hatched and ready to run. O'Man let it go so it could find food, but not before it saw him and cried, "Ma-ma!" |
The last critter was in the backyard Sunday morning. I happened to see a cat pawing at something and then jumping out of the way. It did this a couple of times when suddenly it dawned on me ... he was fighting with a SNAKE! I called my hubby. He watched for a few seconds then started to go out the door.
"Wait," I screeched. "What are you gonna do?"
"I gotta find out what kind of snake that is," he said.
"Well, put some sturdier shoes on first," came my swift reply. "Don't go out there with just your sandals. What if you get bit?"
He didn't listen. Just went anyway. (That's a man for ya. ;)
By this time we had attracted a small crowd at the door, and was eagerly waiting to see what was going to happen next.
![]() |
| Daddy shoulda put his boots on, huh? |
"Hey," I said, "I bet it killed it!" (I'm always happy to see a DEAD snake :)
Our fluffy little hero kitty seemed to be sniffing its prey, when all of a sudden it shot into the air again!
By this time my hubby was next to the cat and started laughing. What in the world? We couldn't figure out what was so funny. He quickly turned and headed back into the house announcing that the cat had been "fighting" a banana peel, of all things!
In between his fits of laughter he managed to tell us that he noticed the poor kitty was cross-eyed. Obviously, the cat was having a hard time seeing. Every time it swatted at the peel, the cats' claws sunk in just enough to make it "strike" back - thus causing us to think it was a snake.
Afterwards, I couldn't help but think which of us looked more silly, the cat that couldn't focus ... or us. Haha!
![]() |
| "Focus. Focus, dude." |
![]() |
| "Take that, you rascally kitty!" |






No comments:
Post a Comment