"Emmett's Basic Clutter Fact: If you plan to get organized tomorrow, you've got to de-clutter today. Getting organized when you're surrounded by clutter is so difficult, it's almost impossible. But getting organized once your clutter is gone is almost effortless." (p. 4)
Charlie used to think that if he spent a lot of money for an item, he'd better keep it forever -- whether it worked or not. Then one day his wife said something to him that changed his attitude toward clutter. "My wife wanted to throw out a computer that I bought long ago," he said, "and I didn't want to because it was so expensive when we bought it. She said that whether we got it for free or paid a million dollars for it, it is still useless. Keeping it for another century will not make it useful again." (p. 168)
If you wear it, hang it up.
If you drop it, pick it up.
If you eat out of it, wash it.
If you spill it, wipe it up.
If you turn it on, turn it off.
If you open it, close it.
If you move it, put it back.
If you break it, repair it.
If you empty it, fill it.
If it rings, answer it.
If it howls, feed it.
If it cries, love it.
(p, 95)
And finally, on p. 92, I discovered . . . How to Pack a Rummage-Proof Suitcase:
[Kort] developed a packing system that works like a charm and completely eliminates all rummaging. It requires a suitcase with a loop for hanging clothes. When she packs the suitcase, she puts whatever she can on hangers - even her nightgown and her swimsuit coverup - and places other items in one-gallon plastic storage bags (for example, socks in one, underwear in another, panty hose in another). When she gets to the hotel, it takes less than a half a minute to swoop all the hanging clothes into the closet and sweep all the plastic bags into a drawer. Packing to go home is equally simple and quick.
You can be sure that the next time I'm out of town I'll be doing some "swooping" and "sweeping." ;)
I enjoyed reading this book. It was a very easy and short read. Be sure to check out my review on my REVIEW page located near the top of this page. Maybe you'll even get the book and read it for yourself. I'm sure your local library will have it. If not, they can usually special order it for you through the Inter-Library Loan (ILL) system.
2 comments:
I'm the same way. I HATE clutter!!! Got it from whatching "Clean Sweep" on TLC a LONG time ago. Needless to say, I continually take those principles and re-apply them again and again. Keeps me sane. Now if I could only keep the laundry done.... :P
Haha! Yeah, Becky, that and the dishes. :P
Post a Comment